Saturday, November 26, 2011

First Tour

So yesterday marks the first, and earliest tour we've had.  Going into the third season feels like we've come a long way from when we started.  The dogs are more fit than any season. They know mostly every trail we've run.  Trial and error have been key components to success.  I guess with almost anything nothing comes easy. The dogs are stronger than any other season before.  I have been applying more of my running workouts, and recovery with the dogs. I find that our physiology are similar in a lot of ways.  I recover them the same way I would after a hard 15 miler.  One of the most effective workouts the dogs run is a classic "Fartlek".  Running at varied speeds to work the aerobic threshold.  For example: one morning we'll go out for a 2 mile warm up, then 1 mile "on" (speed increases) , followed by 10 min easy trot, then 1 mile "on"  .  OR  we will go out  for a hilly run and just have them run hard for up to 40 min max.  The hills force both the dogs and I to go and naturally put the harder threshold "run" in.  Boaz, the chocolate lab, is adapting really well to the tours, training, and having an awesome time with everything! He's definitely got the lead dog potential.  I am really pleased on how well he is handling the running and how well the other dogs help him and are patient with the learning process.  til next time!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment